Wood Butter, also known as board butter or cutting board conditioner, is a mixture of food-grade oils and waxes that is used to treat and protect wooden cutting boards. Here are the benefits of using wood butter on a cutting board:
- Hydration and Moisture Control: Wood Butter helps to moisturize and hydrate the wood fibers in the cutting board, preventing them from drying out and becoming brittle. This hydration helps to maintain the structural integrity of the board and prolong its lifespan.
- Protection against Stains and Odors: The oils in wood butter create a protective barrier on the surface of the cutting board, preventing liquids and food particles from penetrating into the wood. This barrier helps to prevent stains and odors from lingering in the board and makes it easier to clean.
- Prevents Cracking and Warping: By moisturizing the wood, wood butter helps to prevent the cutting board from cracking, splitting, or warping due to changes in humidity or temperature. It helps to maintain the stability and shape of the board over time.
- Enhances Natural Beauty: Applying wood butter to a cutting board can enhance its natural beauty by deepening the color and highlighting the grain patterns of the wood. It gives the board a warm and lustrous appearance.
- Food-Safe and Non-Toxic: Wood Butter is typically made from food-grade oils and waxes, such as mineral oil and beeswax, which are safe for contact with food. It does not contain any harmful chemicals or toxins that could leach into the food. Organic Wood Butter uses coconut oil instead of mineral oil to protect wood.
- Easy Application: Wood Butter is easy to apply to a cutting board. It can be melted and spread onto the board using a clean cloth or sponge. After application, it is usually left to absorb into the wood for some time before any excess is wiped off (30 minutes to over night),
Regular application of Wood Butter can help maintain the beauty and functionality of a wooden cutting board for years to come.